Wednesday, November 10, 2004

When Forming Text for Your Product...

A couple of weeks ago, I moved into a new house. My housemate was expected to sort out the broadband for us before I moved in. But then I found out that we were not able to have more than one computers to be online simultaniously. So I was commissioned to contact the Telewest technical support team to solve this problem.

When I told my housemate that according to the provider we need a router to connect two computers and the technician who had installed the broadband claimed he had explained this to her when he came. She complained:'yes, he told be some technical terms but I totally didn't understand. All I want is to have two computers to be on line at the same time. Just give me what I want, I don't need any technical lessons!"

This taught me that phrasing words is also very important when designing the interface. The words using on your product's interface give users first hand information of what to do with it.

First of all,for software products, words directly influence users' perfomance level of completing tasks. So, try to use words using by your target audiences in their related enviorment. Keep them simple and clear without causing any misunderstandings and compatible with your target audiences logic of thinking.

Secondly, for website which providing information to users, words are fatal tools for users to find information they want from your site. Your text links must make users know get what they are expecting after click that. And it should also make users want to click. Just like Nick Usborne pointed out, instead of a link that says, "Online Banking." Write a link that says, "Sign on to Online Banking."

Finally, words on your product also give users the brand image of your company. Whether you are formal or intimate, serene or vigorous, the tone your are using will provide a clear illustration of your company and product. So, be picky to the words for your product!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home